Friday 4 November 2011

Matsumoto Jun 10.000 words interview


Concerning Arashi, concerning himself, thoroughly considered things in Matsumoto Jun's heart

The Streets Were My Playground [pink box: Where I was raised there were a lot of people and a lot of cars. The spaces between buildings, construction sites, the middle of the street was our playground.]

It looks like I was incredibly spoiled when I was small. Because I was the youngest I was spoiled as much as possible ne. Since I got along well with my two-year-older sister. We often played together. Because I'm shy I wasn't able to just mingle with kids I didn't know ne. Even when we went to daycare I stuck with my sister, I was allowed to mix in with her friends. I also didn't want to go to kindergarten in the beginning. I remember crying at the gate, clinging to my spoiledness. I wasn't able to talk with anyone for 2~3 days. It's the same way now though, I'm not the type who initiates conversation ne.

When there's someone who will initiate conversation, then I finally become able to talk. It was the same way with elementary, junior high, and high school. If I'm thawed once, after that I'm really boisterous (laughs). That
personality won't fix itself, in all likelihood.


In kindergarten I loved my teacher. She was a young, pretty teacher. I was constantly sitting on that teacher's
lap ne. The teacher also addressed all the other children by their surnames, but I alone she called [Jun]. Although I don't think that was something that made my heart throb. From what I heard after starting elementary school that teacher's boyfriend was also "Jun". Although I've forgotten where I heard that. My grandmother gave me the name Jun (rich, moist, charming). Really it was supposed to be "Jun' (meaning pure or innocent), it seems my grandmother said to go with this one.

We went to visit a lot of places as a family. Like Niigata or Izu, we'd go on a trip once a year. During my 2nd grade summer break, the day before we were to go on our family trip I got hit by a light truck ne. When I was messily drinking juice at the neighbourhood candy store my hands got all sticky. I jumped out into the street to go wash my hands and that's when I got hit. I was dragged for metres, blood was pouring out, I thought I was going to die. For some reason I remember frantically apologizing [I'm sorry, I'm sorry] to the men who came running over. In the end it was 27 stitches, and I was hospitalized for about 2 months. I still have those scars.

Because I was raised in the city centre there were a lot of both people and cars. Due to that, although there wasn't much greenery, with things like the alleys in between buildings and construction sites there were a lot of places to play. For something like tag the traffic lights were a main point, we'd cross to the other side right before it turned red, that kind of thing. That's dangeorus though (laughs). That was the way that we played.We often played with firecrackers too huh~. With those ne, it was interesting to put those under seesaws ne, because every time the seesaw touched the ground it would go [bam!]. There were also times when playing with my friends that we'd throw firecrackers at stern-looking older guys riding in cars. The city is dangerous ne~ (laughs).

I loved sports ne. Because my father played soccer, when I was in kindergarten I joined the soccer team. After I became an elementary school student there was only a baseball team though, so I switched to that one. When I saw [Captain Tsubasa] I really admired the overhead kick, when I asked my father he showed it to me. That was something I thought was [Amazing~~!]. That was a moment when a child's heart reveres their father ne.

In elementary school I was a class representative, I think I relatively stood out. When it was time to play I played, I also made sure to study. I got a pretty good amount of chocolates on Valentine's (laughs).The first time the feelings were mutual was when I was a 6th grader. As you would guess, it was with a girl who stood out. While talking after school we both said something like [I like you], but upon seeing that girl playing with some other guy two days later I got angry ne. Since then I haven't been able to say it. So young ne (laughs).I think I have a strong desire to monopolise the person. Surely even now.

For last year's coming-of-age celebration there was a hometown class reunion, I met that girl with an incredible sense of not seeing her in ages. We talked about that time in such a [How nostalgic ne~] way. Beyond that what was fun was hearing about all the various different paths my classmates were following. There were people who were working hard to pursue their dreams, saying [Just a little more and I can become a pro], people who went to good universities, there were even people who went overseas. There was also a guy who's a lighting assistant for [Music Station], I was shocked. Until then I had absolutely no idea, since I was there to perform. They told me [Give me a shout next time you're on M-Ste].


Our generation has a lot of bad things said about it. So seeing my classmates working hard everyday so happily was an extremely happy feeling. I thought, class reunions are a great thing. But then, what everyone told me was [Your own situation hasn't changed ne] (laughs). I returned with [There's no need to change]. That's how I seem to be (laughs).

Becoming A Johnny's Jr. [white box: [I want to be a Johnny's Jr!] The day I sent in my photo to the office was
my elementary school graduation ceremony.] What made me have an interest in the entertainment world might be my older sister's influence. My older sister was a huge fan of KinKi Kids, so we used to watch their videos together and that's when I began to think [I want to do that too!]. I was surely drawn in by the dazzle of the nature of Johnny's Entertainment ne.

On the day of my elementary school graduation I sent my photo in to the office. But since it was verging on Golden Week I didn't receive any reply. Just at the point where I was starting to give up I suddenly got a phone call from Johnny-san. It was [You come!]. So I went, to the dance lessons.Although I had some resistance because this my first time dancing, I thought [For the time being, I'll try it and see]. But I was suprisingly unable to dance ne. I couldn't do things like turns at all, to the point that I got nauseous from my eyes spinning around. Although after I'd been dancing for 2 hours they told me [You can go home for today], since they said the others were still continuing I stayed behind as well and danced the whole time.After that, every week in my lessons I became able to dance. [big red writing: I had the feeling I was standing at the entrance to an immense world].

But I didn't meet Johnny-san at all. I always thought, 'I wonder what kind of person he is~'. When about a month had passed someone called out [Johnny-san]. When I hurriedly looked around it was the old man who always kept the training hall clean. I thought he must be the person in charge of cleaning up ne (laughs). That was truly shocking. Although that was the feeling at a glance (laughs), as you would think Johnny-san is an amazing person. He always stayed silent, watching us one by one. Because at times when we were troubled he'd come talk to us ne. He understand exactly what kind of guys we were, what we were thinking ne. When I'd just entered high school, and there were times when I was worrying about various things that happened, he discussed various things with me. I thought he was amazing.

So in that way I became able to dance at the lessons, and I immediately became engrossed in this world. Up until then, just like any boy playing baseball, I thought [I want to be a pro baseball player], [I'm definitely going to the Japan National High School Baseball Tournament], but that was instantly blown away ne. I remember being surprised at speed of the train the first time I rode the train to my lessons by myself. Up until then when I was with my parents, wherever we were going we'd by no means arrive, I thought [This is long~]. That time I had the feeling that I'd arrived in the blink of an eye ne. Why is it that I felt it in that way?


Somehow, it was a feeling like I'd grown. Because I hadn't been to Shibuya either up until then. Really just my
local area. I think I realized just how narrow a world I had been living in. There were tons of exciting thingspacked in right in front of my eyes, the wide world was opening up and I was standing at it's entrance.That and, though we're still on good terms now, I have some cousins who are 4~5 years older than me, and a little older than that ne. Since I was small I was extremely interested in what those boys were doing. In Johnny's as well it was all people of that age group. Fashion as well as music, gradually I entered more and more into areas I hadn't known about. That was irresistibly alluring.


I started being interested in western clothes from around when I was in grade 6. When my mother brought me along to a local jean shop I was inspired, [There's so many different clothes here!] ne. After that I became able to go on my own. Although, of course, since I wans't able to buy them I was just looking. But there was a shirt which had as its motif white on a red background, I wanted it so much that I saved up my allowance and bought it. That was the first clothing I bought for myself.

At the time I was in Jr.s [Nike] Air Max shoes and [Guess?] pants were popular. I was influenced by that ne~. I spent about 200 thousand yen on Air Max shoes. I remember wanting them so much and deliberating about it an incredible amount. Although that was a conversation about buying them for 7th grade social standing. The me of that period didn't think of Johnny's as "work". Rather, being able to be in that environment was so much fun I couldn't help myself.

The Consciousness Of "Work"


In the summer of 7th grade I got to be to back-up dancer for various sempai in concerts and music shows.I didn't stress over it any more than usual. Rather than that, I was excited. When the situation changed was after I started grade 8. My work as a main member increased and I became incredibly busy. (1) Starting from a one-shot drama, in the summer it was (2) [Stand By Me], followed by (3) a drama, (4) a movie... Although now I think [I was incredibly blessed~], at the time I completely didn't understand that. Therefore,as a result, there was no pressure at all. I was unaware of the scary elements.


At the time I appeared in the one-shot drama, up until that point I had yet to do any acting so I completely didn't get it. The director made me cry. Not being able to act at all, I thought [this is mortifying!], but I had no idea what I should do. That set was painful ne. But right after that, I was able to appear next in a play with no pressure at all. I think in the end I didn't think about anything at all. But that's where (5) Nagayama-san taught me about acting for the first time, I became able to understand it a little ne. When that year ended was about the time when I started 9th grade. I became relatively unable to go to school. Although my parents got incredibly mad at me, somehow ne, I thought of school as a world with an unbelievably narrow, small field of vision. Though when I think about it now I was wrong, the me of the period had the feeling that I knew of a wider world. I thought of school as an unbelievably boring world ne.

On the other hand, I finally became able to think a little about things concerning work. That period was also the first time I thought about the configuration of concerts. At the time I was often with Takizawa (Hideaki)-kun ne. We talked about a lot of things. That person's attitude when it came to work became an inspiration, and I think he had some influence on me too. Such as [Concerts aresomething you create yourselves].

{Headline: Thinking about the composition of the Jr. concert became a huge experience}

He was working on something different, where he just couldn't spare the time no matter what, so it fell to me to think about the composition of that year's Jr. Winter concert. I thought [Why me?!]. Since there were other sempai besides myself. Up until then I'd just been "a performer", but suddenly I had to oversee the whole thing. That was a lot of trouble. It was pretty much not proceeding at all, and I caused problems for the staff as well. But, the experience from that time was incredibly vast. Because when I became part of Arashi, for our first concert I was able to think [I definitely don't want to leave this in someone else's hands!].

From about that period on I started often watching other artist's concert videos. Whether it was the performing or to composition, I wanted to study them even just a little bit. Within me there was a always an ideal form of myself, like [I want to become like this], for the sake of getting closer to that I tried to think about what were the things about the current me that didn't measure up, what would be the best way to make good on them ne. But if I think about it as much as I can, there's constantly things that don't measure up... Even now, I don't have enough time. The fact that, up until now, I haven't once thought [I guess I'll quit] this work may be because I haven't had the free time to think about that kind of thing.

Arashi's Debut


But when I became part of Arashi in all honesty all I felt was uneasy ne. Like [Why is it us?]. Because, as you
would think, Takizawa-kun's existence was really huge. It was incredibly complicated. Only, I was honestly glad about the fact that [I was able to join a group]. Because from the moment I joined Johnny's forming a group and debuting a CD was my dream. I thought, [My dream's come true]. Although, when we were heading for the debut we got so busy that everything that happened up to that point couldn't even compare, the things that were worth doing also increased by the same amount ne.

What left an impression on me was the debut commemorative handshake session. There were even people who cried at shaking hands with us. At the beginning I was like [What's so happy about this?], I didn't get it at all. But when I put myself in their position, and thought my hardest about it, I thought, [After all, if I were to shake hands with a person I really really liked, although I probably wouldn't cry I'd probably be happy]. Thought for us it may be 80 thousand times, for the fans it's once in a lifetime. I can't be careless about this moment. Doing that for the handshaking the fan's emotions came across to me as well, I thought [Let's work hard] all over again.But when it came to Arashi our pacing was by no means in step. When was it that we finally all settled into facing forward? It must have taken close to a year. That was incredibly frustrating. But even I didn't have enough composure to be able to think about taking the initiative and getting us into step.


[Headline: I was anxious when I became part of Arashi. Like, [Why is it us?].]

For a little while after we debuted, amidst Arashi I was in a kind of "playing a character" position ne. I was also
the youngest, so I think that's how the feel of it became. Without anyone noticing it changed from that. I think that becoming able to think [I have to walk precisely on my own] when it came to understanding Arashi's lifestyl was surely something big. Up until then I'd been hanging onto my spoiled personality in some way. But our responsibilities as [members of Arashi] must be equally divided among the 5 of us. Just being the youngest is not a good reason to depend on them. I think about the time I realized that is when the character of my true nature emerged. That would be the same for all of us members.

We all became able to firmly bring out our character. I think the five of us brought out a color that was solely ours, and that became the color of today's Arashi. [The Summer of '01] When my sense of things changed was the summer of '01. [In the middle of a time when I was so busy I didn't even time to sleep, I thought anew [I truly love this job]. When I was doing [Kindaichi Shounen no Jikenbo] ne. Although when I look back now I think [That was really full~], at the time it was a lot of trouble. This is simply concerning the schedule but, it was to the extent that I didn't have the time to feel any pressure about my first lead role.I had to memorize an enormous number of lines, recite them. I was always the first one to start shooting and the last one to leave each day. The basis for [Kindaichi~] is the locations ne. And those were things like mountains and lakes, always far away places (laughs). Just then my school exams piled up too, making it even more troublesome.I went to the set, performed, slept in the car on the way back, went into some last-minute cramming just like that, went to school and took the test, and went back to the set again, that kind of cycle.


Amidst all that I became able to think an amazing amount about things regarding work ne. The things I'd "thought about" up until then were only things that came to me at the time I was thinking of them, that I didn't enter into. I think, as you would expect, the environment on my own was also big. I was able to see many things I couldn't see when it was the five of us.

That point is when I found myself thinking anew [I truly love this job] ne. [I haven't slept] or [I'm tired] are things that are irrelevant to the people watching TV. I thought the important thing was only how much to show there.Not showing it and damaging myself was also something that was up to me. There was no reason to make someone else do it, since I was doing something I loved, so I felt that it would be foolish if I didn't show some strength there.

I'm sure I was also blessed by the staff and other people around me ne. It was a summer where I became able to see the same things as the day before in quite a different light, where I felt a lot of changes.

Concerts

When it comes to the concerts, specifically doing their composition, my contemplation of it may be stronger than the other members'. In any case, for the first concert I was happy about the fact that [We made a concert!]. I was truly happy upon seeing the hall filled with guests, it was touching ne. I also thought on the composition of that concert, but in all honesty it felt greatly insufficient. When we really became able to create a concert was from the time of the (10) 4th one, [Join the Storm]. It was a feeling like 'finally' ne. Of course, up until then as well we'd been thinking about it in our own ways, giving it our all. But inactuality I get the feeling that we relied on the staff for a large part of it. It was from the time of [Join~] onward that we became able to do even the detailed things ourselves. We became able to participate in the sound, the lighting, and all the other meetings.
[Headline: From the 4th concert onward we became able to always think increasingly more than before about "Arashi- ishness".]

Surely we came to see the "things that we want to do". Perhaps because the "Arashi" that we thought of and the "Arashi" thought of by fans and and the people around us matched up and appeared as one style.I think that if you were to describe the concerts up to that point in a few words they would be "Johnny's-ishconcerts". The composition was exactly in that vein, for example, it would turn out that way even if another
group used it. Naturally, I fully understand the allure of the quality of the Johnny's Style... I think that because they are things that are ceaselessly handed down and polished they are unmistakably good things. For example, when I saw (Doumoto) Koichi-kun's concert I thought [Amazing!]. But if you think about the other side of it, in doing that there are already many sempai who are doing those things in magnificent form. Even if we aimed to do the exact same things I got the feeling that there would be no meaning in it. On top of which, when you really think about it, we're a bunch of people who don't want to do things "Johnny's-ish" (laughs).Moreover, from the point when we realized that we became able to always think increasingly more than before about our so-called Arashi-ishness. Although that year's summer tour [Here We Go!] became something that left an incredibly deep impression, when I look back on it now like this, I understand that our being able to gradually create that flow is tied to that time.

[Headline: For the first time the five of us were able to talk honestly about what was in our hearts]

At that time, I discussed lots of things with the members for the first time. [What should we do about Arashi from now on], [What should I do about myself], [What is Arashi to us]. We'd discuss it until morning, every day.I myself had been wanting to have these kind of discussions since the time when Arashi was formed, although we'd talked about things separately on many occasions, this was the first time we were able to talk about them with all the members present. I'm sure the timing of various things was concentrated there ne.


If you think about it, since it was five people with completely different personalities and living environments that were gathered together, it's obvious that the things we'd think about, the things we'd want to do would be
different ne. But up until then I hadn't been able to think like that. I think that, since the time five of us were able to talk honestly about what was in our hearts, from then on we were able to more easily express thethings we each wanted to do. That was something extremely big in terms of Arashi ne.Because the things that we talked about at that time are things that we are doing desperately right now, I can't talk about them at this stage. But if I were to be able to talk about just one thing...Up until that point we were trapped in a mould. The mould of a Johnny's group, the mould of an idol. But at that time I remember us saying [By now there's no need to force ourselves into a certain mould, is there? We should create a mould ourselves that we'll fit perfectly in.]

From then on we showed some changes in Arashi's live performances as well, I get the feeling that we further progressed to a new staging last year. Where we get worked up along with the audience, not just a concert where you say [That was fun ne], a concert where the parts that are shown are shown to their full extent. Although naturally being excited is important, it's not in the sense of [Let's get excited because of this song!], but holding a course that creates excitement naturally. When we planned out the things we want to do that kind of directionality became visible. That may become the base of Arashi's performances from now on ne. The Me From Now On, The Arashi From Now On

This year, in undertaking the play I'm doing, there is something I've been making a task of mine. The me up until now has, not only in acting but in no matter what work I pursue, been always thinking only of doing as much as I can to produce my own strength. But this time I thought, why not try borrowing the strength of people outside of myself. If you take baseball, in the way that the pitcher places his faith in the catcher I thought I'd try placing my faith in the theatre company.

Although it's not like I haven't placed my faith in the people around me up until now ne. I felt that by borrowing the strength of other people my own strength would be further drawn out. You can't run very far if you're carrying too much baggage right? Sometimes entrusting them to people, in the interests of trying to become lighter, may allow you to run at a speed you never imagined possible. In [East of Eden] I was able to feel that kind of response. Although, naturally, that's due in part to the fact that I was blessed with a good theatre company. I get the feeling we were kind of held together by confidence

Putting myself as the subject, the fun of being entrusted by others. Being touched by expressions that would never originate from within me, the joy of meeting the changing me. Lately I feel that very much. In the past I became strangely prudent about that kind of thing ne. Being entrusted by others, I think I lacked the confidence to even respond to that expectation. Therefore, right now, in concerts as well I want to do more of the things that the other members say [I want to do]. For example, letting someone else think about my solo. I want to try bringing out the different color that comes along with a different person's touch. I guess those would be my feelings now after spending five years as part of Arashi.

Well, but this isn't the end of it. Although that doesn't change the fact that every day there's a do-or-die situation.Thousands of guests come to our concerts, by myself there's things like [Gokusen], [Kimi wa Petto],

[Tokyo Tower]. Although I have moments for each one where I'm able to think [This is great], that won't be more than one for the continuing accumulation from now on.

From now on we have only to firmly as the five of us, or as myself with things I can do myself, pile things up
one by one ne. But lately I've been thinking that "Arashi-ishness" isn't something that only we can create. The
fans that think of Arashi and the staff in various jobs. It's something we create together with those kinds of
people. I think what kind of shape that will take will still depends on what happens from here on out. The fact remains that everyday there's a do-or-die situation.


translated by nyanchan@junnohime
credit to sawadashi.vox com

1 comment: